Together We Rise.
Introducing RISE - a fitness leaderboard platform that meets you when and where you need it. RISE helps you reach your fitness goals by adapting to your needs - motivating you to push even harder, and rise to new heights.
I always approach a challenge with a warm up. In this case, asking questions - lots of 'em. And then digging for answers.
WHAT PROBLEM AM I SOLVING? WHO IS IT FOR? WHAT ARE THE DESIGN LIMITS? BOUNDS? WHAT IS THE MARKET? WHERE WILL THIS BE USED? HOW WILL THIS BE USED? HOW DOES IT SCALE? WHAT TYPES OF WORKOUTS DOES THIS SUPPORT? WHAT DEVICES DOES IT WORK WITH? WHAT ABOUT PRIVACY? HOW DO WE PULL DATA? HOW DO USERS PUSH DATA? WHAT DATA MATTERS MOST? HOW DO WE HARNESS USERS MOTIVES? HOW IS IT FUN? WHAT IS THE VISUAL STYLE? WHAT ARE THE TECH REQUIREMENTS? IS THIS EVEN THE RIGHT PROBLEM TO SOLVE? OK, NOW WHAT?
Research and discovery methods for this project include contextual interviews, desk research, user personas, brainstorming, mood boards and rough sketches.
Research indicates that millennials (ages 18 - 34) are more likely to participate in group fitness classes. They are also open to explore new fitness technologies.
As a result of these findings, RISE was carefully crafted to target tech-savvy millennials. i.e., imagery, fonts, color, structure, forward thinking interaction & engagement models, etc.
Group Fitness Benefits
Research indicates that the top 3 perceived benefits of group fitness are Music, Structure, and Motivation. RISE was strategically designed to take advantage of these benefits.
• Music: Top performer are rewarded with the opportunity to select the next song. Music selections are pre-defined by users prior to the workout.
• Structure: The RISE leaderboard was strategically designed for both visual structure and clarity. e.g., grid system, color, spacing.
• Motivation: The RISE leaderboard was strategically designed to cultivate user motivations. Key performance indicators were carefully selected. Additionally, the use of color to clearly categorize group progress instills competitive motivation within users.
Research indicates that females are 5x more likely to participate in a group fitness class than men.
The visual identity of RISE is delicately crafted for the target audience. Imagery is vibrant and includes thoughtful choices, that while gender inclusive, skew towards target users.
The target audience affects every design decision. Personas are used to enforce the complete brand experience - everything from visual identity to potential interaction models.
These initial concept sketches may not look like much, but they're an integral piece in the design process. Simple sketches allow flash ideas to be sealed in time for future reference.
The very best brand experiences create trust. RISE builds a deep connection with consumers through a unique look and feel.
• Color: Background tones are deep and dark. While the brand color palette is vibrant and electric. A story is told - RISE illuminates and electrifies the typical fitness experience.
• Typography: Montserrat was selected for it's strength, focus, and visual clarity. Whether the experience is projected on a large screen or a smaller television, the text is always legible.
• Imagery: Focused. Sexy. Artistic. Dark. Brand imagery sets a magnetic mood for RISE.
Electric. Strong. Energetic. RISE is designed around 21st century fitness. It presents meaningful information, at meaningful times - to help you reach your goals.
Some of us live for competition. The RISE leaderboard was designed to present digestible snapshots of realtime performance data.
Throughout the workout users are connected to the system through wearable fitness technology and encouraged to work in different color zones to maximize their results.
Performance data visualization encourages competition both against yourself and others in the class.
• Consistency: The use of predictable patterns across the layout help to enforce focus and compartmentalize data.
• Clarity: The focus on functionality motivates the design. Every design decision was made with purpose. After all, it's gotta be easy to read with sweat dripping into your eyes.
• Color: The use of color is fundamental in imparting vitality and progress. The color choices take into account not only branding, but contextual environment constraints... like gym lighting.
But there's more - Initial research indicated that while real-time performance leaderboards are encouraging, folks at the bottom can become easily demoralized. Yep - Leaderboards can create motivation gaps.
In response, I strategically designed RISE to measure data against personalized targets - because, competition deserves to be fair.
You are dripping in sweat, but it was worth it - what a rush. The breakdown view presents a final snapshot of your workout performance. Providing you the information and encouragement you need to hit your goals.
• Color Zones: Data visualization provides users with a breakdown of workout intensity. This is the most valuable information on the screen, so it's highlighted using color.
• Average BPM: Research shows that heart rate tracking is crucial. Average BPM is displayed as an indicator of cardiovascular health.
• Calories Burned: Research indicates that motivation is enhanced through visual rewards. The presentation of calories burned is strategically included in order to harness user motivations.
RISE isn't just about group workouts. It's your personal fitness coach. Intimate, adaptable, and personalized just for you.
Chat with RISE anytime, anywhere. Book your next gym session, gain valuable insights, set goals, and chat about your progress.
The chatbot concept is natural, intimate, and familiar. It's lighter, and strategically more personal than the gym experience.
The app is an extension of you. It's fitness that speaks with you - on your level - helping you rise to the top.